Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Official Book Club Selection

As I might have mentioned a time or two, I'm a big believer in reading. The problem is I, like many other people, am kinda tortured by having to pick out books. I can sit in Barnes & Noble for over and hour and leave without a single thing. My biggest fault is probably my incessant judgement of any and all covers. I am a walking aphoristic delinquent. I will look at a book with a silly or obtuse cover and discard it despite it's countless accolades and recommendations.

Really, I only listen to one person's opinions when it comes to literature...

When thinking of what a friend means, most people would probably say that a friend is someone who accepts for who you are, despite your differences or faults. Alex is not one of those friends. Now don’t get me wrong, I count her among the people I value most, but Alex is in a league of her own. Upon first encountering her, most people find the sudden urge to run very fast and very far away. Standing at a whopping 6 foot 1 inches, she is an Amazon, a Spanish/Puerto Rican Amazon with Jackie Joyner-Kersee fingernails. Instead of wielding a crossbow and gladiator sandals, Alex is more likely to be armed with a sordid array of blackmail and type of bitchiness that can burn holes into your skull. This is why I so adore her. All of the aforementioned facts are the reasons that prove that I can trust Alex's recommendations of any novel.


Our most favorite book EVER....
Alex's most recent favorable mention is of a book entitled "Little Bee." I'm about halfway through and so far, so great. The author, Chris Cleave, does an amazing job of injecting an impossibly realistic personal voice into the main characters. I can't really tell you what "Little Bee" is about, but I can tell you it's totally worth picking up.


The blurb on the back cover is obscure, but it reads...
"This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there ... Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds. "
How can you not love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment